Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

McVeytown defense help in comeback win over Burnham

LEWISTOWN -It is said that defense wins championships.
Nothing was more true Sunday afternoon when two of the top Central Keystone Cheer and Football League teams met in the title game.
The Burnham Pee Wee’s were looking to capture its fourth title in as many years while the hard nosed defensive McVeytown team was ready to put an end to the title reign of the Bulldogs.
After falling behind 9-0 early on, the Eagles soared over the Bulldogs, scoring 13 unanswered points to edge out the victory.
Like it had all season, the McVeytown defense did not allow an offensive touchdown on the night. It was the Burnham defense that did all the scoring.
“All year long they played their hearts out. I told them before the game tonight was give me 150 percent and play like you have all year and this is what happens,” McVeytown coach Jack Rishel said. “This defense did not allow a touchdown on them all year.”
With the win, the Eagles’ capped off an undefeated season.
Defensively, the Bulldogs came in with a strong one as well and it showed early on in the contest.
In the first half, the Eagles’ streak of no touchdowns against their defense almost came to an abrupt halt as the Bulldogs drove the ball down to the Eagles two. The drive was highlighted by a 44-yard run by Camren Moore.
However, McVeytown streak remained as the Eagles forced a fumble and got the ball back.
But on the next play, the Eagles’ Carter Bratton was caught in the end zone by Burnham’s Jayden Smith and gave his team a safety and a 2-0 advantage with 5:32 left in the first.
Both defenses took over from there as the teams’ exchanged possessions four times.
Burnham struck once again on defense.
With 7:10 left in the half, Moore picked off a McVeytown offering and took it to the house, scoring a touchdown, upping the lead to 9-0 after the successful PAT.
“They played hard tonight, defensively and an offensively,” Ryan Wilson said. “Unfortunately, there were a couple big plays tonight and they went to McVeytown.
The Bulldogs went into the half with the lead but the Eagles came out ready to do battle and it showed after holding Burnham to punt.
On the kick, the ball went right into the hands of Bryson Hughes. Hughes wasted little time in taking the ball up field and into the end zone thanks to a 37-yard punt return as he was tackled deep in Burnham territory.
On 2nd down and long quarterback Jace Rishel found Hughes on a 30-yard TD hook up, putting the Eagles on the board and cutting the lead to 9-7.
On Burnham’s next offensive possession, the Eagles forced another punt.
Starting on their own 44, Brice Rishel followed his blockers and then broke loose for a 56-yard touchdown run with 1:39 left in the third, taking the lead at 13-9.
The Bulldog defense held on the PAT.
From there, the McVeytown defense took center stage as it kept the Burnham touches to a minimum and in the process gave their team the 4-point victory and ending the 3-year reign of the Bulldogs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *