Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

Bellefonte loses heartbreaker in OT

By Kenny Varner


BELLEFONTE – It was a dark and rainy afternoon.

For most of their contest against Mifflinburg, the Bellefonte lacrosse team held the lead looked like it was going to lift them to the hard fought victory.

However, Mifflinburg’s Tyler Stutzfoltz proved to be pain in the Red Raiders’ side all night, especially when it mattered plastering the game tying and game winning goals.

In the end, the Red Raiders pushed Mifflinburg to a sudden death overtime period but with just seconds left Stutzfoltz put in the game winning shot, ending the game at 7-6.

Leading the way offensively for Bellefonte was Austin Jackson who scored four of his team’s goals. Others picking up goals for the Red Raiders were Nate Shippee and Jacob Ashpole.

Despite the nail biting loss, Bellefonte goalkeeper Patrick Scordato was tough on the Mifflinburg offense collecting over 15 saves on the afternoon.

Not only did the teams battle each other but Mother Nature as well as the wind and rain were a constant for most of the game.

Mifflinburg got on the board first, posting a goal on it second possession early in the first quarter.

Minutes later, Ashpool tied up the contest as he blasted a shot past the Mifflinburg goalie, tying it at 1-1.

Bellefonte dominated the first of the opening period as Jackson finished with two of his four goals, taking a 3-1 lead into the second quarter.

The visiting team made its first comeback attempt in the game, outscoring the Red Raiders 2-1 as the game went into the intermission.

Scoring Bellefonte’s lone goal in the period was Shippee.

Going into the intermission, Bellefonte held onto a slim 4-3 lead.

But when the second half got on its way Mifflinburg would not go away as both teams scored the same, posting one goal each.

Again, Jackson scored the Red Raiders goal while Stutzfoltz talled his team’s lone goal.

The fourth quarter proved to be no different except Stutzfoltz tallied two goals while Jackson had one.

Stutzfoltz’s second goal of the period came with 47 seconds left in regulation, tying and sending the game into an extra period period.

After both teams battled diligently up and down the field it looked as like the game was going to go into the second overtime period Stutzfoltz was again the villain, hitting the winning goal with 23 seconds left.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.