Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

Bluejays rally in final two innings to force extras against Giants; completes comeback with 14-13 win

By Kenny Varner

REEDSVILLE – Reedsville was the hub of the local Cal Ripken League Sunday night as the Reedsville Blue Jays and Reedsville Giants had some unfinished buisness left after having its Mifflin County Minor League title game rained delayed in the bottom of the fourth.

Saturday’s game was played at Frank Pupo Memorial Field where the Giants had the early momentum.

But Sunday was it was the Bluejays turn to spread their wings and push their game to extras, earning a very hard fought 14-13 come from behind victory in extra innings.

“They are resilient. They just keep battling,” said Blue Jay coach Denny Bitner. “Thursday night’s game they battled back as well. Very proud of them!”

The Giants were just as tough as they forced the game into extras and took the lead on steal home by Caleb Bubb, putting the pressure on the Blue Jays in their last at bats.

“It was a hard fought game overall,” said Giants Coach Jared Getz.”The hardest part was playing against another Reedsville team. I coach all these other kids in different sports. It’s hard. I didn’t want either team to lose. But it was a good game.”

Picking up the win for the Blue Jays was Anderson Bitner.

Leading the way offensively for the Blue Jays were Caden McClure as he went 3-for-4, just missing a cycle by needing a double, Cam Kauffman exploded for a 4-hit effort with four RBIs. His last two proved to be the game winning runs, ending the game.

Carter Kanagy finished with a 3-hit effort along with four RBIs.

Others finishing with hits on the day were Bitner, Dylan Bonson and JJ Nail.

The Giants were led on the offensive side were Jackson Parkes who finished with two hits as well as teammate Zander Lawson.

Others picking up hits for the “Red and White” were Alex Picciurro, Grey Getz, Caleb Bubb, Alex Reed and Alex Erb.

Going into Sunday afternoon for part 2, the Giants took a 12-6 lead heading into the bottom of the fourth.

Things went smooth for the Giants in the bottom of the fourth as they refused to allow a run, taking the 6-run advantage into the fifth.

But the Bluejays defense stood their ground as they were able to hold the Giants scoreless in the top of the fifth.

The comeback started for the Bluejays in the bottom of the inning.

Bonson and Kauffman used their patience at the plate and walked.

Kanagy blasted a single into left field, adding two runs by scoring Bonson and Kauffman.

The Giants tightened their defense back up and went into the final inning still leading 12-8.

With the bases loaded, Jackson Parkes made sure of that with a diving catch over the bag at second. After the catch, he went and touched second to keep the advantage on the Giants’ side.

However, the Giants were kept at bay in the top of the sixth, the Bluejays defense once again stood strong, refusing to allow a Giants’ run.

In what could be their last bats of the year, the Blue Jays needed to rally to stay alive in the contest.

Stay alive it did.

Blaine Rhoades started off the inning with a walk which was followed by walks by Bitner.

Bonson got his team two runs closer as he hit in to a 2RBI fielder’s choice.

Kauffman posted an RBI double to cut the Giants lead to a 12-11 contest.

But the Giants were able to force a second out.

The Blue Jays loaded the bases and looked like they had the game one on a walk off run but a miscommunication with base running, forced an out and sent the game into an extra inning.

With new life, the Giants bounced back and took a 13-12 lead when Lawson stole home.

However, the night belonged to the Bluejays as they kept the momentum going.

McClure singled to start things off.

Bitner followed with a walk, putting runners on.

Bonson followed with a walk, loading the bases.

Kauffman ended the game on a game winning 2-RBI single, giving them the championship title.

But on the first day of play, it was the Giants that took the momentum early by scoring four runs in the first, third and fourth innings before “Mother Nature” reschedules the rest of the game to Sunday.

When both teams walked off the baseball diamond, it was clear to many fans who watched that Reedsville baseball has more than a promising future!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *