Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

Mifflin County drops contest against Thundering Herd

LEWISTOWN – Going into its Tuesday afternoon contest against Carlisle, the Mifflin County boys soccer team were still searching for its first win of the season. Heading into the second cycle, the Huskies came out looking sharp going head-to-head with the Thundering Herd. In the first 40 minutes Carlisle held a slim lead of 1-0 and out shot the Huskies’ only by a tally of 8-7.

Unfortunately for Mifflin County, the Thundering Herd opened the field of play and for much of the second half held the momentum by out shooting the Huskies 15-1 en route to the 3-0 victory at the Mifflin County High School sports complex.

“We planned to come out aggressive. We wanted to get on the ball quick. Our goal was to score a goal quick and lead the game. But obviously that didn’t happen,” Mifflin County head coach Robert Lepley said. “We need to find somebody who wants to score a goal. Somebody has to step up.”

Carlisle started the contest with the opening possession. However, it was quickly taken away by the Huskies’ strong defense.

The first break away attempt of the game came from the foot of captain Weston Shugarts. Shugarts had a breakaway attempt foiled by the Carlisle defense as he was tripped up on the way to the goal.

Minutes later, William Fox had the shot of the game but it went wide. Back-and-forth the two teams went as the teams exchanged field possessions numerous times. Mifflin County’s offense looked very aggressive as it attacked the ball and took it down into their opponents back-third.

As the time ticked away on the game clock, the Thundering Herd picked up its first goal of the game.

As goalkeeper Noah Fisher went to clear the ball it was intercepted by Thomas Hallman and he lifted a looping shot that just went over the outstretched hands of Fisher at the 17:08 of the first half. Both teams went back on the offensive but neither could find a break in the defense to score anymore first half points.

Going into the intermission, Carlisle held the advantage on the scoreboard and on shot attempts (8-7). Fisher was tough in the goal area stopping four saves while Carlisle goalkeeper Jared Paulovich had none. The Huskies’ goalie finished the contest with 11 saves in a losing effort. “Noah has been strong in the back all year.

He does lead the Mid-Penn in saves so he’s kept us in games,” Lepley said. “He works well with our back four.” In the second half, the Thundering Herd brought the intensity level up a notch as it opened up the field and went right at the Huskies’ back-third. After another tough save by Fisher, the ball went flying out to Carlisle’s senior Jacob Cheeseborough.

After catching the rebound, Cheeseborough sent it flying back toward the Mifflin County goal, upping the score to 2-0 with still 36 minutes left to play. From there the Thundering Herd kept possession for much of that time allowing the Huskies just one shot in the second.

With only 10:05 left, Carlisle put the game on ice when Alex Henry picked up a pass from teammate Ely Brody and sent it home, ending the scoring at 3-0. Mifflin County is back in action Thursday night against Cumberland Valley at 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.