Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

Bellefonte loses heartbreaker in last seconds of overtime

By Kenny Varner

BELLEFONTE – It was an overtime thriller Friday in the Bellefonte gymnasium as the Bishop McCourt and Bellefonte boys basketball team played it down to the wire.

In the end, it would be an offensive rebound by Angelo Gallucci that would be the deciding point as the Crimson Crushers escaped the winner of a 43-42 overtime Laurel Highland’s contest.

“The four years I’ve been here, I’ve never complained about my kids, ever.  But this is the second time in three games we missed 16 free throws,” said Bellefonte coach Rick Hall. “When you miss 16 foul shots you’re going to lose. We could have put the game away in regulation. We could have put the game away in overtime. We could have beat Central Mountain, we missed 16 free throws there. But that’s just focus on the line. We’re not hitting threes like we were in preseason. it’s just like getting in a hitting slump in baseball. We just got to work our way through it.”

Leading the offense for the Red Raiders by Derek Cox’s 11-point effort.

In the overtime period, Bellefonte opened up the extra stanza on a jumper by Cox, taking a 39-37 advantage.

Bishop McCourt cut it to a one-point contest when Brock Beppler hit 1-of-2 from the line after being fouled.

Ethan Thomasacci got a friendly roll in the paint as the time began to rundown to 1:52.

However, the hot hand of Nick Dressick tied the contest with his third triple of the contest.

Bellefonte added a free throw, giving the home team the advantage, by three.

However, Chakibe Ferguson got the ball from the Red Raiders and pushed the ball down field. However, he missed the lay up but the ball went right into the waiting hands of Gallucci. Gallucci hit the putback sealing the deal.

In the third quarter, the Red Raiders found themselves in a battle as Dressick came out with an 8-point performance in the stanza. He led the game with a game high 13 points.

The Crusaders outscored Bellefonte 14-7 in the period, sending the game into overtime.

Bellefonte led in scoring in the third by 8-6 margin. The entire game, the Bellefonte defense  continued to force up awkward shots, and try to hit from the outside.
after trailing 10-7 going into the second, the Red Raiders took over control of the contest in the second as the posted 15 points while its defense limited Bishop McCourt two only seven points.
When the two teams went into the intermission, leading 22-17.

Finding themselves trailing by a 10-7, the Red Raiders quickly posted a strong 5-0 run. The scoring spurt was sparked by a triple by Peyton Vancas. Vancas finished with a six-point effort on the day.

With the 12-10 advantage, the Crusaders tied the contest on a Mike Peuss jumper.
But on the following possession, Vancas added his second triple and extended the lead back to three. Bellefonte used that momentum to go into the half posting a 22-17 lead.

But after all the dust settled, the Crusaders eventually continued to go toe—to-toe, ending with a hard fought battle.
Bellefonte is back in action on Monday against Clearfield.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *