Hometown Sports
Don't Miss

Bulldogs and Tigers do battle

BURNHAM- The future looks bright for Mifflin County football.
In a very back and forth contest, the Burnham Bulldogs overcame a tough defensive effort by the Terrace Tigers to take the Mighty Mite contest 33-19 .
Terrace opened the game with the ball. It took just one play for the Tigers to score on a quarterback keeper.
Defensively, the Bulldogs stopped the PAT.
On their first possession, the Bulldogs rolled down the field converting on a fourth and long to keep a drive alive.
Burnham tied the game at the 6-minute mark. the PAT was good making it 7-6.
Two plays, two touchdowns for Terrace, as the wasted no time in picking up touchdown number two. With the unsuccessful PAT the score stood at 12-7.
On Burnham’s second possession, the Terrace defense forced another fourth down as the second quarter got underway.
Again, the Bulldogs picked up the first down and started to roll down the field again. The Bulldogs made the most of their second chance and scored to go ahead 14-12 with 10:33 left in the second.
For the first time on the following Terrace possession, the Burnham defense forced a 4th down and kept the Tigers from converting and switched possession back to the home team.
Terrace’s defense started the Burnham third possession tough holding them in the back field on two consecutive plays. Again, the Bulldogs were forced to a fourth down.
And again the Bulldogs picked up the first down.
On the following play, Burnham cashed it in with 18 ticks left on the clock. The PAT was stopped by the tough Terrace defensive effort.
In the second half, the Bulldogs opened with the ball and the momentum.
Burnham scored on its second play from scrimmage, upping the lead to 26-12 with 12:05 left in the third.
Burnham forced the Tigers into a fumble on Terraces first possession to get the ball back.
One play later, the Bulldogs ran it down to the 10. The Bulldogs cashed it in on the following playing, increasing the lead to 33-12.
The Terrace was not going to go down without a fight as it scored on its second possession, cutting the Bulldog lead to 33-19 with 3:28 still left in the third.
Despite the deficit, the Terrace’s defense was still battling and making big plays.
However, the Bulldog offense kept churning away and moving downfield.
Going into the final stanza, Burnham held a 33-19 lead.
However, the Tigers made a strong defensive stop at the 12:30 mark to give their offense another chance to get closer.
But then it was the Bulldog’s turn as they held strong on defense, taking the call back at the 7-minute mark.
From there the Bulldogs ran out the clock en route to the 33-19 victory.
But despite the score both team’s walked off the field knowing they left it all on the field.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *